Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:Munsterfans is slowly coming to the conclusion that this seasons travails are because of BlueJoe.
Ye see, the low skill based game of the Ireland team was so "agricultural" that when the liginds came back from Japan they were unable to adapt quickly enough to Larkhams new vision.
Hence the decline from a very bright and promising start to the 2019-20 season.
Case closed.

There's actually some truth to that. The best performance of the season was the away win against Cardiff. That was the last game before the internationals came back.

I don't think anyone blames Joe it's just that the players have never played under Larkham and might need a preseason.

I was delighted with the start Munster made to the season and surprised by how quickly Larkham was having an influence. I thought it would take longer but players like Shane Daly and Goggin were enjoying themselves. They've hardly featured since the internationals came back.

Theres a run of games now that gives JVG a chance to blood youngsters. It's a good test for JVG to see if he has Munsters long term in mind or looking to win at all costs.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

dropkick wrote:
blockhead wrote:Munsterfans is slowly coming to the conclusion that this seasons travails are because of BlueJoe.
Ye see, the low skill based game of the Ireland team was so "agricultural" that when the liginds came back from Japan they were unable to adapt quickly enough to Larkhams new vision.
Case closed.

There's actually some truth to that. The best performance of the season was the away win against Cardiff. That was the last game before the internationals came back.

I don't think anyone blames Joe it's just that the players have never played under Larkham and might need a preseason.

I was delighted with the start Munster made to the season and surprised by how quickly Larkham was having an influence. I thought it would take longer but players like Shane Daly and Goggin were enjoying themselves. They've hardly featured since the internationals came back.

Theres a run of games now that gives JVG a chance to blood youngsters. It's a good test for JVG to see if he has Munsters long term in mind or looking to win at all costs.
Actually, I think things started going south when Mathewson was told to feck off. What's he doin now?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

And why is dropkick always so bleedin reasonable?
He's like the Mahatma Gandhi of babbling brook, don't think I've ever seen him lash out despite the goading that goes on here sometimes.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote:
Case closed.

I was impressed by Daly especially early in the season. It is a good time to build, but he still can’t afford a slip up in the league.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is it just me or are Munster having a lot of training ground injuries.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote:Is it just me or are Munster having a lot of training ground injuries.
InjuryLawyers4ThomandInterest?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote:
Case closed.

The looked good in a league with little to no test players? Of Munsters 5 opening games, 3 were against teams with negative win ratios. Cardiff are evens and Cheetahs beat you. It’s not that impressive a record.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

blockhead wrote:And why is dropkick always so bleedin reasonable?
He's like the Mahatma Gandhi of babbling brook, don't think I've ever seen him lash out despite the goading that goes on here sometimes.
+1
One of the best posters on the board.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:Is it just me or are Munster having a lot of training ground injuries.
"I'm sorry but we want to sign yet another medical joker"

"Try and make it a clean break"

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

hugonaut wrote:
blockhead wrote:And why is dropkick always so bleedin reasonable?
+1
One of the best posters on the board.

Cheers, folks. :)

Blockhead, I'm certainly no Ghandhi but there's no point getting too excited over others' opinions.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

paddyor wrote:
dropkick wrote:
Case closed.

The looked good in a league with little to no test players? Of Munsters 5 opening games, 3 were against teams with negative win ratios. Cardiff are evens and Cheetahs beat you. It’s not that impressive a record.

The style of play I ment. It wasn't perfect but there was progression up until the internationals came back. They were easier alright.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:
dropkick wrote:
Case closed.

Actually, I think things started going south when Mathewson was told to feck off. What's he doin now?
Word is that Mathewson's continuous contract extensions were halted by the IRFU when JVG declared that he wanted to make him his No.1 scrummie.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Great to see that their production line is still producing great talent.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/01/31/ ... nd-snyman/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Big signings and big investment.

If they don't win a trophy or at least get to a final next year then JVG will be done for.

Still think they're missing a real quality TH and the Snyman money would've been better invested there.

What's going to happen when Kleyn, Snyman and Beirne are all fit?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

D4surfer wrote:Great to see that their production line is still producing great talent.

They're a joke. Nucifora too for permitting it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Snyman could be a game changer, brilliant player and a figure that they can all rally around. I think he could have the kind of impact Rocky had for us, he only turned 25 a couple of days ago. De Allende is brilliant as well but as I said before I struggle to see how he fits in with how Larkham wants to play.

Anyone know anything about Gallagher? Can't say I've noticed him for Sarries but regardless of that I would have thought that they had plenty of options coming through in the back three.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

P.s. I think this is good news for us in terms of not losing a second row or centre. Openside is still a worry though.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote:Big signings and big investment.

If they don't win a trophy or at least get to a final next year then JVG will be done for.

Still think they're missing a real quality TH and the Snyman money would've been better invested there.

What's going to happen when Kleyn, Snyman and Beirne are all fit?
I think someone mentioned elsewhere that they could try Beirne at 6, POM at 7 and CJ at 8.
It would be a great move for Beirne as it seems to be his best position, and there's an opening at 6 for Ireland
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jimbobjoe wrote:
D4surfer wrote:Great to see that their production line is still producing great talent.

They're a joke. Nucifora too for permitting it.
Don't see an issue with it, I have to say. You're allowed to have a certain number of NIQ/NIE players in your squad. We do.

They will probably let Arno Botha go and Cloete will nationalise as Irish through residency before the start of the next season. They're very low on NIQs/NIEs as it is at the moment, and two of these guys are top quality players. On the basis of RWC19, Allende is the best inside centre in world rugby. Snyman is incredibly physically gifted.

Don't see a role for Matt Gallagher with Haley and Shane Daly already in the squad. Obviously it depends on how good he is - if he's amazing, he sort of makes the other guys irrelevant. He hasn't shown that he's amazing though. In fairness, he is Irish qualified, and I think it is good to try and bring these guys into the system in general.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

There is no doubt Snyman will improve their team he would improve most teams.

Munster are going to have to trim a lot of fat though in the second row. At the minute they have 6 locks in their senior squad and 3 more in their academy all IQ (that was not enough though they needed Jed Holloway earlier in the season as a medical joker). Next season we add Snyman to that and it is 7 senior locks and 3 academy guys trying to squeeze some game time.

Leinster for example who apparently need to lose guys like Ryan Baird because we are so stacked :roll: have 4 senior locks and 3 academy locks.

Write that story journalists...
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English