6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Post by Twist »

I agree it’s not very important, I just don’t think that can be characterised as sticking up for him

Here’s something important I only found out today - the draw for RWC2023 is in November! Did everyone else already know this? I thought it’d be late 2021.

It makes seeding much more important than I’d previously been thinking.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

"We got your 6" is sticking up for him. I really don't get why people are so bothered by what he says. James Lowe tweeted asking if there were any kicking coaches out there for a friend of his during a game where Johnny was missing kicks for Ireland and nobody gave a sh!t...and they shouldn't because they're mates and it was funny.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I searched his Twatter yesterday prepared to sneer at him and.... couldn't see what there was any fuss about. At all. Nothing to see there.

Wondered if I was missing something.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:I searched his Twatter
:shock:
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Twist wrote:I agree it’s not very important, I just don’t think that can be characterised as sticking up for him

Here’s something important I only found out today - the draw for RWC2023 is in November! Did everyone else already know this? I thought it’d be late 2021.

I seeding really that important? I don't think it matters that much as long as you're in the top 8. A team that was in the 4-8 bracket when the draw was made has to knock off a team that was in the 1-4 bracket to top a RWC pool; and even if they don't manage that, they'll probably get another shot at trying the same thing in the quarters. The other thing is that there could well be movement between the bands between the draw being made and competition starting. Everyone thought Ireland got a great draw last time out. But it was good only from the perspective of getting out of the group. It was a terrible draw, as things transpired, for winning a quarter final. South Africa got a better draw for making the semis, but not winning the group, and they were ranked between fourth and eighth when it was made.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:
Twist wrote:I agree it’s not very important, I just don’t think that can be characterised as sticking up for him

I seeding really that important? I don't think it matters that much as long as you're in the top 8. A team that was in the 4-8 bracket when the draw was made has to knock off a team that was in the 1-4 bracket to top a RWC pool; and even if they don't manage that, they'll probably get another shot at trying the same thing in the quarters. The other thing is that there could well be movement between the bands between the draw being made and competition starting. Everyone thought Ireland got a great draw last time out. But it was good only from the perspective of getting out of the group. It was a terrible draw, as things transpired, for winning a quarter final. South Africa got a better draw for making the semis, but not winning the group, and they were ranked between fourth and eighth when it was made.
Probably the most important goal, seeding wise, would to avoid being in the same group as France and even their half of the draw.
After that avoid NZ.
We have the capability to beat the rest of the teams.
The one caveat is that we have to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Sorry I edited it above before I saw that. Genuinely don't think it matters because Russell didn't do anything seriously wrong.
Man turns up for work, goes drinking, doesn’t make it to work the next morning sneering at his workmates, is good that he won’t be selected but can stay and help his team prep for their next match and gives the boss a metaphorical up yours...

Yeah definitely nothing to see here.

One of the founding principles of Agile is “no arseholes” - looks like Gregor is at least doing that bit right
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Man does something really stupid and potentially ends his international career.

The Zebo hate is genuinely nuts.
For me the Zebo hate is mostly jealousy mixed with un petit peu of pity.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Sorry I edited it above before I saw that. Genuinely don't think it matters because Russell didn't do anything seriously wrong.
Man turns up for work, goes drinking, doesn’t make it to work the next morning sneering at his workmates, is good that he won’t be selected but can stay and help his team prep for their next match and gives the boss a metaphorical up yours...

I didn't say there was nothing to see, I said he deserves criticism and a clip around the ear. But he didn't do anything serious enough to warrant being shunned by Zebo and that's why I can't understand why people have an issue with Zebo supporting his mate.

I would find it a lot worse if, for example, a player urinated on a member of the public in a bar and then people were saying how great a guy he was soon after. That's an actual serious offence.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:"We got your 6" is sticking up for him. I really don't get why people are so bothered by what he says. James Lowe tweeted asking if there were any kicking coaches out there for a friend of his during a game where Johnny was missing kicks for Ireland and nobody gave a sh!t...and they shouldn't because they're mates and it was funny.
I think people were looking to hammer zebo because the twitter post needed a comma after the 6. One poster immediately jumped on "6 white chocolate" with some witty comment about zebo's needing to avoid chocolate or something.

I'd say Racing are delighted these guys are digging themselves further into self imposed exile.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I find it hard to believe that clubs, all clubs in all professional sports, still allow their players to post on social media unapproved without some kind of content management or approval process in place
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:I find it hard to believe that clubs, all clubs in all professional sports, still allow their players to post on social media unapproved without some kind of content management or approval process in place
What a horrid thought to have!!
You're more than your job, you have right to self expression whether or not the club approves. If it damages your worth, so be it.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I find it hard to believe that clubs, all clubs in all professional sports, still allow their players to post on social media unapproved without some kind of content management or approval process in place
You're more than your job, you have right to self expression whether or not the club approves. If it damages your worth, so be it.
Reported.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:
It is dreadfully Orwellian (and I'd only apply it to public facing accounts - they can still have private personal accounts), but their brand is the clubs brand too and we have seen recent 'social media outrages' (© The Fiver) that have damaged clubs and teams brands and even that of the whole sport.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

I didn't say there was nothing to see, I said he deserves criticism and a clip around the ear. But he didn't do anything serious enough to warrant being shunned by Zebo and that's why I can't understand why people have an issue with Zebo supporting his mate.

I would find it a lot worse if, for example, a player urinated on a member of the public in a bar and then people were saying how great a guy he was soon after. That's an actual serious offence.
I’d appreciate if you’d include the last bit of my comment - no arseholes is an important concept in team endeavours including sports , by all accounts Russell was at least acting like an arsehole and when offered redemption he scurried away.

As for professionally trained athletes pissing on the general public, Sean O’Brien can f%~k right off - that was an arsehole move.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

If you guys had to pick a Wolfhounds team this week who would be on it? Mine is:

1. Buckley
2. Scannell
3. Bealham
4. Threadwell
5. Thornbury
6. Rea
7. Penney
8. Masterson
9. Blade
10. Carty
11. Kearney
12. McCloskey
13. O'Brien
14. Balcoune
15. Halley
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

sunshiner1 wrote:If you guys had to pick a Wolfhounds team this week who would be on it? Mine is:

1. Buckley
2. Scannell
3. Bealham
4. Threadwell
5. Thornbury
6. Rea
7. Penney
8. Masterson
9. Blade
10. Carty
11. Kearney
12. McCloskey
13. O'Brien
14. Balcoune
15. Halley
Which O’Brien would you have at 13? Tommy, Conor or Jimmy?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really miss those games. Not sure if there's any appetite to bring them back but if there is then maybe we could try and play Saracens next season. They're trying to organise games against South Africa (doubt they mean a full strength one) and the Barbarians so there could well be an opportunity there.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
It is dreadfully Orwellian (and I'd only apply it to public facing accounts - they can still have private personal accounts), but their brand is the clubs brand too and we have seen recent 'social media outrages' (© The Fiver) that have damaged clubs and teams brands and even that of the whole sport.
I would imagine that they already have training courses and standards on how the club expects them to perform on all media and in life generally. There is a limit to how far that can go but if the right training and standards are set and the right example is given by senior guys then a good culture develops. These guys are part of the club brand and they can help or damage it.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

And now for something entirely different.........The rugby.

Not sure about the thinking of naming the team so early in the week. I know some like to hold out until the last minute which can avoid giving the opposition the chance to make adjustments to their selection or tactics in reaction to yours. I think it is a positive statement for this game but I am not sure it is something I would keep.