Schools Rugby 2019-2020

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Schools Rugby 2019-2020

Post by Pilotman123 »

propertymad wrote:Astonishing performance from Michaels .... especially the first 50. They absolutely battered Zaga..... I’m not sure the green machine got into the Michaels 22 more than once?

Was talking to Bernard Jackman afterward and he reckons this is the best schools side he’s seen in his time covering the SCT

Front row all exceptional .... Boyle is the closest thing to Cian Healy I’ve seen in 15 years

Will Hickey is a very good player ..... dominant on both sides of the ball

Looks like Boyle, Hickey, Barron and Cosgrave are destined for the academy

O’Kelly the outside centre is impressive too and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on the Leinster radar as well
Don’t think there will ever be a team this special for a very long time, Chris Cosgrave has to be a place kicker when he enters the pro game, if that means him playing out half then so be it, his kicking is astonishing
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ringrose was as good and look how much kicking he is doing now. Don't see Cosgrave playing 10 post school.

O'Kelly has a chance but not straight from school.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Ringrose was as good and look how much kicking he is doing now. Don't see Cosgrave playing 10 post school.

O'Kelly has a chance but not straight from school.
Thought that was very stupid of Leinster not using Ringrose as a kicker and only using their outhaves, the thing is with Cosgrave he’s been kicking like this since he was 12 years old, it would be a shame to let his kicking go to waste in the pro era, he would be such a reliable kicker
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yeah it's an odd one alright.. Suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.

Anyone know if Zach Harrison or Cameron Baird will be back for the cup or are they out injured for all of it?
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Yeah it's an odd one alright.. Suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.

Anyone know if Zach Harrison or Cameron Baird will be back for the cup or are they out injured for all of it?
Don’t think Zach Harrison is injured because I saw him training with the team the other day, looks like he’s dropped...that’s quite surprising considering he did play Leinster u18s in the summer, not sure on Cameron Baird though
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

He was injured recently so may just be on the way back..
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:He was injured recently so may just be on the way back..
Yeah that’s fair, he should make his way back into the team for the Semi
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Shame Rock blew it would have loved to see michaels rock again.

Clongowes and Newbridge should get into semis now. Can't see either beating this michaels side.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Shame Rock blew it would have loved to see michaels rock again.

Clongowes and Newbridge should get into semis now. Can't see either beating this michaels side.
Yeah it’s a pitty Rock and Belvo aren’t as good this year...would of liked to see this Michael’s team being challenged this cup campaign but looks like they’re gonna walk it now
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Newbridge V Kilkenny today. Newbridge should win comfortably.

Players to watch:
Newbridge: Donough Lawlor(Number 8 ) + Marcus Kiely(Centre)
Kilkenny: Charlie Tector(Outhalf)
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Pilotman123 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Shame Rock blew it would have loved to see michaels rock again.

Yeah it’s a pitty Rock and Belvo aren’t as good this year...would of liked to see this Michael’s team being challenged this cup campaign but looks like they’re gonna walk it now
No Cup is ever walked and those that think like that, lose.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

If they don't get Clongowes in the next round they'll likely get the in the final. Newbridge might be their biggest challenge in fact.
Dwarf
Beginner

Post by Dwarf »

Castleknock very good also if not reffed off the park for jackalling.

Is it me or do schools refs not like any contest at the breakdown?

Seems to be reffed inconsistently between rounds.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Of course knock are a good side too.. Hence there semi final spot... All remaining semi finalists will be heavy underdogs in a game against michaels though.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Dwarf wrote:Castleknock very good also if not reffed off the park for jackalling.

Is it me or do schools refs not like any contest at the breakdown?

Seems to be reffed inconsistently between rounds.
I thought the penalty at the end against Belvedere was a bit harsh and should have been awarded to Belvedere, it seemed to be like he was supporting his own body weight..it was essentialy Belvederes lack of discipline that cost them the game especially back chat, the most mature team always wins cup
That lack of discipline would of never happened if Phil Werahiko was coach, I thought all the players that weren’t in sixth year were the better players and Belvedere had a very good maul and won three penalties in a row but kept deciding to go for the scrum 40 meters out instead of going for the corner..a lot of poor decisions were made and felt there was a lack of leadership
Fair play to Castleknock that’s the best Castleknock team I’ve seen in a long time, hopefully they keep competing in the Senior Cup for many seasons to come as its good for the competition
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some games on Rugbylist now btw.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It's arguable that michaels haven't even played their strongest 15 yet.. With Harrison at 11 and C Baird at lock with Guinane or Woods moving to 6.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Kilkenny surprised me yesterday. Much better than expected. I think they surprised Newbridge too, who didn’t respond well and were a bit lucky overall.

I saw Newbridge play a very competitive game against Michael’s two weeks before the Champions played and beat Gonzaga by 3 at the same venue. Newbridge were very competitive until Michael’s overran them in the last quarter.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Zaga were very competitive too.. Have to factor in that it was a friendly near the cup.. I'm sure it was taken seriously but it's not the same as the cup.. Much like the Gonzaga game I'd expect michaels to win comfortably.
Dwarf
Beginner

Post by Dwarf »

mildlyinterested wrote:Zaga were very competitive too.. Have to factor in that it was a friendly near the cup.. I'm sure it was taken seriously but it's not the same as the cup.. Much like the Gonzaga game I'd expect michaels to win comfortably.
Don't expect too much -it might make you smug.