Podcasts

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: Podcasts

Postby Peg Leg » April 23rd, 2018, 10:10 am

Laighin Break wrote:99 Percent Invisible is my favourite out there. 300+ episodes about architecture and design. Design is a really broad subject here, it can be the design of things related to music, buildings, towns, computer games, films, sports, pretty much anything.
Wild ones episode (ep 140ish) is up there with one of the greatest 40mins of audio I have ever heard.
Roman Mars has the most captivating voice, I would identify his voice a risk to my ability to concentrate on the road whilst driving.

I am a radiotopia contributor such is my appreciation for their work, I'd have to recommend Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything also. His stories are such an effective way of explaining cultural phenomenon. Start with: Interserfs, where he "hires" an intern to help him explore the sharing economy.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Devin Toner

Postby Laighin Break » April 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am

Peg Leg wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:99 Percent Invisible is my favourite out there. 300+ episodes about architecture and design. Design is a really broad subject here, it can be the design of things related to music, buildings, towns, computer games, films, sports, pretty much anything.
Wild ones episode (ep 140ish) is up there with one of the greatest 40mins of audio I have ever heard.
Roman Mars has the most captivating voice, I would identify his voice a risk to my ability to concentrate on the road whilst driving.

I am a radiotopia contributor such is my appreciation for their work, I'd have to recommend Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything also. His stories are such an effective way of explaining cultural phenomenon. Start with: Interserfs, where he "hires" an intern to help him explore the sharing economy.

I actually listened to that episode last week, and sent it on to others to listen to.
Roman Mars is also such a great name
Laighin Break
Graduate

Postby tomthefan » May 23rd, 2018, 11:15 am

Flats and Shanks is a weekly rugby podcast that seems to be all about what Flat's and shanks (two former players and current friends) did last week.
At least that was the case with the single episode I almost listened to the end of. If you want a blow by blow account of their experiences getting the car valeted and
how the barbecue went, I'd highly recommend it.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
tomthefan
Learner

Postby TerenureJim » May 23rd, 2018, 11:49 pm

tomthefan wrote:Flats and Shanks is a weekly rugby podcast that seems to be all about what Flat's and shanks (two former players and current friends) did last week.
At least that was the case with the single episode I almost listened to the end of. If you want a blow by blow account of their experiences getting the car valeted and
how the barbecue went, I'd highly recommend it.

The BT lads? No thanks.
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney

Postby Peg Leg » June 13th, 2018, 7:45 am

Scott wrote:
John23 wrote:Anybody listening to "S-Town". From the makers of "Serial" & "This American Life". Two episodes in. Not bad at all.

Enjoyed S-town. Atlanta Monster is worth a listen
Half way through Atlanta monster, enjoying so far. Is "S-town" good? Anyone listen to "up and vanished"?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Devin Toner

Postby Laighin Break » June 13th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
Scott wrote:
John23 wrote:Anybody listening to "S-Town". From the makers of "Serial" & "This American Life". Two episodes in. Not bad at all.

Enjoyed S-town. Atlanta Monster is worth a listen
Half way through Atlanta monster, enjoying so far. Is "S-town" good? Anyone listen to "up and vanished"?

I gave up on Atlanta Monster, found it hard to get into. S Town is definitely worth a listen. Very unusual story.
I've heard good things about Up and Vanished.
Laighin Break
Graduate

Postby Muriel » June 14th, 2018, 11:29 am

I really enjoyed S-town, and Serial series one. Series two wasn't so good. If you like the true crime ones like Serial, try 'Someone Knows Something', 'Accused' and 'In The Dark'. Oh, and 'Dirty John' was decent too.

Just finished 'West Cork' (about Sophie Toscan Du Plantier's murder) and while not as good as the rest of them, it was local and familiar. Just starting 'Up and Vanished', will let you know how I got on.

I tried 'Crime Town', 'Casefile' and 'Criminal' but I didn't really like the one episode per story thing.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Muriel
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby johng » July 3rd, 2018, 4:11 pm

S Town was fucken brilliant. Thanks for the tip. Also has anyone mentioned Blindboy? What a great podcast. Cuts through the chyte like no other.
johng
Leo Cullen

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 9th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I haven't started listening to it yet but the new series of Slow Burn (about Clinton) is out.
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan

Previous

Return to General Chat