All Ireland League - Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby El Diablo » November 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

scentofgunpowder wrote:
future international wrote:Mike Ross packing down in the front row in Ulster Bank League Division 2C games is a safety risk? Discuss.


One of my friends was playing against Malahide, he said Ross came off the bench and they refused to scrum against him.

:shock:
How did the ref work that out? What happened?
User avatar
El Diablo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: April 14th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: Happyland

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby mildlyinterested » November 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

how'd trinity get on at weekend?
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby El Diablo » November 13th, 2017, 1:27 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:how'd trinity get on at weekend?

cracking battle in terrible conditions. Marys off to a flyer; 15 3 up after 25 mins. Trinity tries either side of halftime and some heroic defense ultimately won it 15 18. Lots of emerging talent on show. Doris is a fabulous athlete, Conor Dean was good but missed a potential equalising kick. Jack Kelly came off the bench for Trinity in the 2nd half and did well, Silvester continued his great form and Richard Dunne got his 1st Trinity try bursting lose from a maul. But MOTM was Paddy Finlay, the Trinity hooker. He had an absolute stormer. I lost count of his carries, mostly getting well over the gain line, his darts were 100% I think, scored the equalising try after half time and won the relieving turnover after 6/7 minutes of Marys pounding the Trinity line at the death. Lunatic stuff. He was like a man possessed as he was in the win against Buccs 2 weks ago. I know he has played some Leinster A but he definitely warrants a closer look from the Leinster coaches on current form.
Great match just a pity about the weather and the small crowd. A roaring fire and great hospitality in the bar afterwards made up for the damp :D
User avatar
El Diablo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: April 14th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: Happyland

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby mildlyinterested » November 13th, 2017, 1:54 pm

El Diablo wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:how'd trinity get on at weekend?

cracking battle in terrible conditions. Marys off to a flyer; 15 3 up after 25 mins. Trinity tries either side of halftime and some heroic defense ultimately won it 15 18. Lots of emerging talent on show. Doris is a fabulous athlete, Conor Dean was good but missed a potential equalising kick. Jack Kelly came off the bench for Trinity in the 2nd half and did well, Silvester continued his great form and Richard Dunne got his 1st Trinity try bursting lose from a maul. But MOTM was Paddy Finlay, the Trinity hooker. He had an absolute stormer. I lost count of his carries, mostly getting well over the gain line, his darts were 100% I think, scored the equalising try after half time and won the relieving turnover after 6/7 minutes of Marys pounding the Trinity line at the death. Lunatic stuff. He was like a man possessed as he was in the win against Buccs 2 weks ago. I know he has played some Leinster A but he definitely warrants a closer look from the Leinster coaches on current form.
Great match just a pity about the weather and the small crowd. A roaring fire and great hospitality in the bar afterwards made up for the damp :D


thanks for the report. :happy clapper:

how's the scrum battle go? Byrne/Aungier?
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby El Diablo » November 13th, 2017, 2:15 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
El Diablo wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:how'd trinity get on at weekend?

cracking battle in terrible conditions. Marys off to a flyer; 15 3 up after 25 mins. Trinity tries either side of halftime and some heroic defense ultimately won it 15 18. Lots of emerging talent on show. Doris is a fabulous athlete, Conor Dean was good but missed a potential equalising kick. Jack Kelly came off the bench for Trinity in the 2nd half and did well, Silvester continued his great form and Richard Dunne got his 1st Trinity try bursting lose from a maul. But MOTM was Paddy Finlay, the Trinity hooker. He had an absolute stormer. I lost count of his carries, mostly getting well over the gain line, his darts were 100% I think, scored the equalising try after half time and won the relieving turnover after 6/7 minutes of Marys pounding the Trinity line at the death. Lunatic stuff. He was like a man possessed as he was in the win against Buccs 2 weks ago. I know he has played some Leinster A but he definitely warrants a closer look from the Leinster coaches on current form.
Great match just a pity about the weather and the small crowd. A roaring fire and great hospitality in the bar afterwards made up for the damp :D


thanks for the report. :happy clapper:

how's the scrum battle go? Byrne/Aungier?

Forgot about him. He is not starting for Marys. In fairness the 2 starting props did well and had slightly the better of Byrne and Bollard. Aungier did come on in the 2nd half but I dont have much to report I'm afraid. Joe Byrne had to come back on for Trinity after being subbed earlier to shore up the scrum.
http://dufc.ie/trinity-dig-out-win-in-the-rain/
User avatar
El Diablo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: April 14th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: Happyland

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby mildlyinterested » November 13th, 2017, 2:22 pm

El Diablo wrote:
Forgot about him. He is not starting for Marys. In fairness the 2 starting props did well and had slightly the better of Byrne and Bollard. Aungier did come on in the 2nd half but I dont have much to report I'm afraid. Joe Byrne had to come back on for Trinity after being subbed earlier to shore up the scrum.
http://dufc.ie/trinity-dig-out-win-in-the-rain/


thanks.
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby El Diablo » November 14th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Some great tries from the October try of the Month....
https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/926098162493853697
I didnt here of a winner being selected.
User avatar
El Diablo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: April 14th, 2006, 1:34 am
Location: Happyland

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby Ruckedtobits » May 6th, 2018, 4:52 pm

All Ireland League Final and the IRFU allow yet another total anomaly when the only full-time professional player wins the man-of -the-match award against the amateurs. No fault of Peter Dooley but this makes a nonsense of the IRFU regulation bannings payments to players (Regulation 6).

Club competitions should be for amateur players, not professional players recruited to particular clubs by professional Branch officials
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3492
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby ormond lad » May 6th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:All Ireland League Final and the IRFU allow yet another total anomaly when the only full-time professional player wins the man-of -the-match award against the amateurs. No fault of Peter Dooley but this makes a nonsense of the IRFU regulation bannings payments to players (Regulation 6).

Club competitions should be for amateur players, not professional players recruited to particular clubs by professional Branch officials
No it doesnt a make a nonsense of reg 6. Club competitions should have pro players involved. We dont and shouldnt have a full tier of A level games in between the AIL and the Pro14. Pro players need to be involved at this level
ormond lad
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 445
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby blockhead » May 6th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Tough game, with the perfect conditions you would think there would not be so many knock-ons.
Well done Lansdowne, well deserved double.
Up the Dubs!!!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4574
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby the spoofer » May 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

ormond lad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:All Ireland League Final and the IRFU allow yet another total anomaly when the only full-time professional player wins the man-of -the-match award against the amateurs. No fault of Peter Dooley but this makes a nonsense of the IRFU regulation bannings payments to players (Regulation 6).

Club competitions should be for amateur players, not professional players recruited to particular clubs by professional Branch officials
No it doesnt a make a nonsense of reg 6. Club competitions should have pro players involved. We dont and shouldnt have a full tier of A level games in between the AIL and the Pro14. Pro players need to be involved at this level


100% agree although Donal Lenihan going on about how Dooley probably grew up with his team mates :D :D :D
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby lummix » May 26th, 2018, 9:31 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:All Ireland League Final and the IRFU allow yet another total anomaly when the only full-time professional player wins the man-of -the-match award against the amateurs. No fault of Peter Dooley but this makes a nonsense of the IRFU regulation bannings payments to players (Regulation 6).

Club competitions should be for amateur players, not professional players recruited to particular clubs by professional Branch officials


What needs to happen is a new AIL with one league of 10 teams that is semi pro and includes the fringe squad players of the provinces. The rest of the teams should go back to provincial leagues with an all Ireland cup. The AIL has killed and bankrupted so many clubs in ireland and needs to be reformed.
lummix
Graduate
 
Posts: 519
Joined: January 25th, 2007, 10:23 am

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Postby Armchair » July 12th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:All Ireland League Final and the IRFU allow yet another total anomaly when the only full-time professional player wins the man-of -the-match award against the amateurs. No fault of Peter Dooley but this makes a nonsense of the IRFU regulation bannings payments to players (Regulation 6).

Club competitions should be for amateur players, not professional players recruited to particular clubs by professional Branch officials


You have no clue of how Reg 6 works with that statement, All AIL semi finalissts had pro players involved which is within the rules once they play the required amount of qualifying games. Most 1a teams would have players on development or academy contracts and less regularly pro contracts playing for them on a few occasions thru out the season depending on the provinces requirements if they want or feel they need extra games. Dooley was only on the bench for Leinster A last year plenty of starters played some AIL last year. Club rugby was a benefit to their progression and match fitness

So big changes being proposed for season 2019/20 what sems clear is that both 1a & 1b will be an 8 team leaguewith 1a based on the top 8 finishers of this upcoming season and 1b then being adjusted to make sure each province has at least two representative teams across both divisions so plenty of heated discussions ahead. I would as was previously mentioned abve pagree that a 10 team format works best
User avatar
Armchair
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Previous

Return to Domestic Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron