Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Scooby Shaggy Swerve » May 17th, 2018, 3:44 pm

We really should play this over the PA pre-match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU
Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner
 
Posts: 51
Joined: February 18th, 2014, 11:57 am
Location: A Beer Glass in Brussels

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Grumpy Old Man » May 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote:We really should play this over the PA pre-match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU


Untrue. Ollie Le Roux is a lovely guy.
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 6603
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby John23 » May 17th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I hear "Stand up and fight" is being replaced by "Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika"
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
User avatar
John23
Graduate
 
Posts: 734
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby tomthefan » May 18th, 2018, 12:43 am

olaf the fat wrote:The fact that a pro14 qf can't get 11k in limerick may prove them right.

Bad state of affairs when looked at against the bigger picture


Taking into account the relative populations of Limerick and Dublin, may I suppose that you'd consider anything less than 150,000 at a Leinster qf a jolly poor show?
The fact is, the majority of the population of Munster lives nowhere near thomond park, certainly not a stroll or a few stops on a Dart type network away.

And thanks to our Dublin-centric transport infrastructure it's possible for the likes of me living in Munster to get to Donnybrook more easily than to Limerick.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Bookworm
 
Posts: 222
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby sunshiner1 » May 18th, 2018, 3:18 am

Is this the guy Ulster were going to sign before he got injured or a different Botha?
sunshiner1
Graduate
 
Posts: 702
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Dave Cahill » May 18th, 2018, 9:15 am

sunshiner1 wrote:Is this the guy Ulster were going to sign before he got injured or a different Botha?


Same guy.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby sunshiner1 » May 18th, 2018, 9:37 am

Thanks
sunshiner1
Graduate
 
Posts: 702
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Laighin Break » May 18th, 2018, 10:09 am

tomthefan wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:The fact that a pro14 qf can't get 11k in limerick may prove them right.

Bad state of affairs when looked at against the bigger picture


Taking into account the relative populations of Limerick and Dublin, may I suppose that you'd consider anything less than 150,000 at a Leinster qf a jolly poor show?
The fact is, the majority of the population of Munster lives nowhere near thomond park, certainly not a stroll or a few stops on a Dart type network away.

And thanks to our Dublin-centric transport infrastructure it's possible for the likes of me living in Munster to get to Donnybrook more easily than to Limerick.


Fair point. In fairness taking 1 game in isolation is hardly looking at "the bigger picture". For average attendances, Munster had the third highest in the Pro14 (behind Leinster and Ulster) but an identical % Capacity to Leinster, and second highest in Champos Cup (behind Leinster).

Plus Scarlets only got 7,000 for their QF. Maybe Pro14 QF's aren't the easiest games to drum up excitement for
Last edited by Laighin Break on May 18th, 2018, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 775
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby fourthirtythree » May 18th, 2018, 10:22 am

I remember a semi final we struggled to sell, we were already in another final and people took it for granted we would win and saved their cash/family time for that.
happens, lot of calls on your time around now.

The percentage stuff is a non sequitur though ; you don't compete against a percentage of your opposition. Rugby is more popular in Limerick, that doesn't mean it is sustainable there if the raw numbers don't work, no matter how good your conversion rate is.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8952
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby blockhead » May 19th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Since (and including) the Croke Park 2009 game, we have beaten Munster in 16 out of 22 games.
It's a rivalry, but not a close one.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4775
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby olaf the fat » May 20th, 2018, 1:03 am

Laighin Break wrote:
tomthefan wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:The fact that a pro14 qf can't get 11k in limerick may prove them right.

Bad state of affairs when looked at against the bigger picture


Taking into account the relative populations of Limerick and Dublin, may I suppose that you'd consider anything less than 150,000 at a Leinster qf a jolly poor show?
The fact is, the majority of the population of Munster lives nowhere near thomond park, certainly not a stroll or a few stops on a Dart type network away.

And thanks to our Dublin-centric transport infrastructure it's possible for the likes of me living in Munster to get to Donnybrook more easily than to Limerick.


Fair point. In fairness taking 1 game in isolation is hardly looking at "the bigger picture". For average attendances, Munster had the third highest in the Pro14 (behind Leinster and Ulster) but an identical % Capacity to Leinster, and second highest in Champos Cup (behind Leinster).

Plus Scarlets only got 7,000 for their QF. Maybe Pro14 QF's aren't the easiest games to drum up excitement for


Sorry Tom the fan an laighin break but what has that got to do with what my comment was in reply to? This was in respect to moving the ladies internationals games to the rds - absolutely f all of a dig at Munster - hence the bigger picture comment. Jeez sometimes people are just looking to be offended.
I
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Angelsea Angst » May 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm

blockhead wrote:Since (and including) the Croke Park 2009 game, we have beaten Munster in 16 out of 22 games.
It's a rivalry, but not a close one.


That is a pretty impressive statistic. That Croke Park game was certainly a turning point for the relationship.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm
 
Posts: 119
Joined: January 19th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby sunshiner1 » May 22nd, 2018, 2:19 am

Heard rumours that Tyler Bleyendaal might be retiring this summer due to injury. Shame if true.
sunshiner1
Graduate
 
Posts: 702
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby BlueBlue » May 22nd, 2018, 12:37 pm

Tyler Bleyendaal , That's Munster improving there chances of getting Carbery
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
User avatar
BlueBlue
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3274
Joined: June 16th, 2006, 11:27 am
Location: deepest Leinster

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby tomthefan » May 23rd, 2018, 11:10 am

sunshiner1 wrote:Heard rumours that Tyler Bleyendaal might be retiring this summer due to injury. Shame if true.


It didn't sound good him having to have another operation.
Munster have been having a particularly bad time at outhalf with Johnny Holland also having to retire very prematurely.
Bill Johnston who's only young, has also had a fair amount of problems with injuries.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Bookworm
 
Posts: 222
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby blockhead » May 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

sunshiner1 wrote:Heard rumours that Tyler Bleyendaal might be retiring this summer due to injury. Shame if true.


Awful news if true, last season he showed that he could be a really good 10 if he could get over his injuries. Feel very sorry for the young man.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4775
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Icarus » May 23rd, 2018, 12:51 pm

John23 wrote:I hear "Stand up and fight" is being replaced by "Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika"

Ulster, during the heyday of Ruan and co, used to be called the 'Orange Free State'.
Icarus
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 253
Joined: April 12th, 2006, 2:50 pm
Location: D12

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby olaf the fat » May 23rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

Icarus wrote:
John23 wrote:I hear "Stand up and fight" is being replaced by "Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika"

Ulster, during the heyday of Ruan and co, used to be called the 'Orange Free State'.


And there is the warning for Munster.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby Dave Cahill » May 28th, 2018, 8:58 am

Paul O’Connell is set to leave his advisory role with the Munster Academy, as the former Ireland captain ponders his next move.

O’Connell was appointed to the role two years ago and despite currently working as the Ireland U-20s forwards coach, the Limerick native has always said that he wants to dip his toe into coaching before he commits himself fully to it.

The 38-year old has plenty of interests outside of rugby that he may take time out to pursue. It is unclear at this stage whether he will continue with the Ireland U-20s beyond the Junior World Cup, which starts against France on Wednesday.

The news would come as a blow to Munster, who value O’Connell’s work with their stars of the future. Johann van Graan has also made no secret of his desire to have the legendary lock part of his coaching ticket further down the line.

It is believed that the Reds’ former scrum-half Cathal Sheridan will replace O’Connell. The 29-year-old, who made 35 appearances for the club before injury prematurely ended his career last year, is currently working as a mental skills coach with the Academy.

The Academy will be boosted by eight new faces this summer, with Munster schools champions Glenstal’s out-half Ben Healy, and PBC pair Sean French and Jonathan Wren among the newcomers.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 52608.html
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Postby offshorerules » May 28th, 2018, 9:48 am

Bit of a blow for them alright. One of the liiginds leaving.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
User avatar
offshorerules
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest