Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby mildlyinterested » July 4th, 2018, 7:10 pm

ronk wrote:I didnt see A game. If he's not ready for that level hes probably not ready for senior squad.

Kelly doesn't have the option of having Isa steer him from the wing. Best is to just work on his game and get ready for later.


It was 1 game. Let's not overreact.
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby ronk » July 4th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Hang on, you said he needs to have a big preseason, I'm suggesting that he needs time.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9180
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby mildlyinterested » July 6th, 2018, 8:50 am

He is going into his final year in the academy, he does need a big preseason where he doesn't look out of place with senior players.
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby mildlyinterested » July 6th, 2018, 12:08 pm

JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby Peg Leg » July 6th, 2018, 12:10 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.
One event unrelated to the other I assume?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8558
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby mildlyinterested » July 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.
One event unrelated to the other I assume?


Yeah, just posting some injury observations via social media.
mildlyinterested
Mullet
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby Peg Leg » July 6th, 2018, 12:26 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.
One event unrelated to the other I assume?


Yeah, just posting some injury observations via social media.
You da bomb MI always appreciated.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8558
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby BlueBlue » July 6th, 2018, 2:00 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.


:D
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
User avatar
BlueBlue
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: June 16th, 2006, 11:27 am
Location: deepest Leinster

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby the spoofer » July 6th, 2018, 4:55 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.


JDVF looks considerably bigger.
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby Oldschool » July 6th, 2018, 5:16 pm

the spoofer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.


JDVF looks considerably bigger.

O'Brien is quite small alright.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10905
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby wixfjord » July 13th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Just thinking we'll be very light at FB for the start of the season.

Presumably the plan is for Barry Daly or DK to step in?

For me Larmour is more of a winger than a 15, but he'll probably get a good bit of gametime in the latter jersey this year.
wixfjord
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3726
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby hugonaut » July 13th, 2018, 6:52 pm

wixfjord wrote:Just thinking we'll be very light at FB for the start of the season.

Presumably the plan is for Barry Daly or DK to step in?

For me Larmour is more of a winger than a 15, but he'll probably get a good bit of gametime in the latter jersey this year.


DK's last three starts of the season [Feb-Mar] were all at fullback. I see him getting a lot of games there this year.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby Leinsterlunatic » July 17th, 2018, 8:51 am

JVF looks huge, it will be interesting to see his physical stats pre/post injury
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » July 17th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Similarly, I reckon SOB has slimmed down.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11067
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby neiliog93 » July 17th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3532
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby wixfjord » July 17th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Slimming down seemed to work for Healy last year.
wixfjord
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3726
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby Leinsterlunatic » July 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm

wixfjord wrote:Slimming down seemed to work for Healy last year.


Healy was fat in all honesty.

Beast now.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm
 
Posts: 104
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby johng » July 17th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Fat? The guy has always been one of the few props with abs. While his already low fat percentage probably went down a little, a lot of what he lost was probably muscle.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 17135
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby hugonaut » July 17th, 2018, 9:36 pm

neiliog93 wrote:Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.


Maybe, but I doubt it. He has put his body through the wringer. He has always played a very confrontational, collision-heavy style of rugby and has had a lot of surgical repair done at this stage. It all adds up.

There's an interesting little mention in one of Pat McCarry's articles from two years ago [source: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... jury-65057 ] where the journalist relates Stephen Ferris' comments on O'Brien having had almost 20 surgeries by the time he was 28. He has almost certainly broken that barrier now.

SOB himself has spoken before about 'burning the candle at both ends':

'I would say a few years ago I was burning the candle at both ends. For the likes of coaches seeing you coming down here (Tullow), for instance, once a week, or going to coach a team on a Sunday, it's probably not the best thing to do with your body in their eyes. I look at it in two ways. It's my release from rugby, coming down and going for a walk with the dogs or going shooting or whatever it might be.

Even getting down and farming, they don't want you working. Your job is rugby obviously, and that's the most important thing ... when you're at a young age, mid-twenties, you think you can do all this stuff. Then as you go year on year and you've picked up a few injuries and knocks, you're going 'Well, what's contributing to all this?' Maybe I was on my feet too long or I didn't recover properly or I wasn't doing the right things, and you get smarter.'


[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 54046.html ]

In any case, he's a centrally-contracted player and in a World Cup year I doubt we'll see him more than 11 times in a season even if he's fully fit all the way through.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Postby riocard911 » July 17th, 2018, 11:01 pm

hugonaut wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.


Maybe, but I doubt it. He has put his body through the wringer. He has always played a very confrontational, collision-heavy style of rugby and has had a lot of surgical repair done at this stage. It all adds up.

There's an interesting little mention in one of Pat McCarry's articles from two years ago [source: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... jury-65057 ] where the journalist relates Stephen Ferris' comments on O'Brien having had almost 20 surgeries by the time he was 28. He has almost certainly broken that barrier now.

SOB himself has spoken before about 'burning the candle at both ends':

'I would say a few years ago I was burning the candle at both ends. For the likes of coaches seeing you coming down here (Tullow), for instance, once a week, or going to coach a team on a Sunday, it's probably not the best thing to do with your body in their eyes. I look at it in two ways. It's my release from rugby, coming down and going for a walk with the dogs or going shooting or whatever it might be.

Even getting down and farming, they don't want you working. Your job is rugby obviously, and that's the most important thing ... when you're at a young age, mid-twenties, you think you can do all this stuff. Then as you go year on year and you've picked up a few injuries and knocks, you're going 'Well, what's contributing to all this?' Maybe I was on my feet too long or I didn't recover properly or I wasn't doing the right things, and you get smarter.'


[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 54046.html ]

In any case, he's a centrally-contracted player and in a World Cup year I doubt we'll see him more than 11 times in a season even if he's fully fit all the way through.


I still blame Kaino's cheap shoulder shot in the ruck for Seanie missing most of last season.....
riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron