Ireland u20 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » September 20th, 2018, 9:40 am

U20's who have played Celtic Cup rugby so far this season:

Prop
Michael Milne(Leinster)
Giuseppe Coyne(Leinster)
Paul McGookin(Ulster)
Josh Wycherley(Munster)

Hooker
Billy Scannell(Munster)
Claytan Milligan(Ulster)

Lock
Darragh O'Grady(Munster)

Backrow
Ronan Watters(Leinster)
Neal Moylett(Connacht)

Openside
Scott Penny(Leinster)
John Hodnett(Munster)
Cian Huxford(Connacht)

Scrumhalf
Cormac Foley(Leinster)
Graham Curtis(Ulster)

Outhalf
Harry Byrne(Leinster)
David Hawkshaw(Leinster)
Ben Healy(Munster)
Bruce Houston(Ulster)

Outside Backs
Aaron Sexton(Ulster) - afaik not eligible for Ireland u20 team, due to school.
Iwan Hughes(Ulster)
Liam Turner(Leinster)
Sean French(Munster)
Conor Hayes(Connacht)
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » September 20th, 2018, 6:35 pm

I watched Munster Vs ospreys. Hodnett looked impressive. Ben Healy didn't make a good impression though. Plenty of mistakes but he might have just had an off day.

Sean French came on the wing and made a try with his first touch. He chipped the ball over the defence and Tynan gathered and scored.


Loads more U20s in the Munster A team for the match against Dragons A. About 9 or 10.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby cormac » September 21st, 2018, 10:12 am

U-20 home games will be played in Cork this season.

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1 ... 4784638976
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5091
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » September 21st, 2018, 10:17 am

U20's in Eagles team this weekend:
Dylan Tierney(Hooker/Corinthians)
Niall Murray(Lock/Buccaneers)
Cian Huxford(Openside/Corinthians)
Neal Moylett(Backrow/Roscrea)
Oran McNulty(Back Three/Exile)
Hugh Lane(Back Three/Galwegians)
Conor Hayes(Back Three/Young Munster)

U20's in Munster A team this weekend:
Billy Scannell(Hooker/PBC)
Paddy Kelly(Lock/St. Munchins)
Darragh O’Grady(Lock/Ardscoil)
John Hodnett(Openside/Clonakilty)
Charlie O’Doherty(Scrumhalf/Newcastle West)
Ben Healy(Outhalf/Glenstal)
Jake Flannery(Outhalf/Rockwell)
Sean French(Outside Back/PBC)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 21st, 2018, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby ormond lad » September 21st, 2018, 1:13 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:U20's in Eagles team this weekend:
Dylan Tierney(Hooker/Corinthians)
Niall Murray(Lock/Buccaneers)
Cian Huxford(Openside/Corinthians)
Neal Moylett(Backrow/Roscrea)
Oran McNulty(Back Three/Exile)
Hugh Lane(Back Three/Galwegians)
Conor Hayes(Back Three/Young Munster)

U20's in Munster A team this weekend:
Billy Scannell(Hooker/PBC)
Paddy Kelly(Lock/St. Munchins)
Darragh O’Grady(Lock/Ardscoil)
John Hodnett(Openside/Clonakilty)
Charlie O’Doherty(Scrumhalf/Newcastle West)
Ben Healy(Outhalf/Ardscoil)
Jake Flannery(Outhalf/Rockwell)
Sean French(Outside Back/PBC)
Ben Healy is Nenagh and Glenstal not Ard Scoil and is now playing with Garryowen
Jake Flannery is Kilfeacle and Rockwell
ormond lad
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 455
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » September 21st, 2018, 1:32 pm

U20's in Ulster A team:

Iwan Hughes(Exile)
Aaron Sexton(Bangor Grammar)
Paul McGookin(Ballyclare)
David McCann(RBAI)
Graham Curtis(Exile)
Bruce Houston(Ballymena)

U20's in Leinster A team:
Michael Milne(Roscrea)
Giuseppe Coyne(Blackrock)
Ryan Baird(St. Michaels)
Ronan Watters(St. Marys)
David Hawkshaw(Blackrock)
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » October 2nd, 2018, 10:20 pm

Anyone else think the Celtic cup matches are better for the players than the U20 interpros? I'd say they'll bring on the players more as they're playing with professionals for an extended run and it'll give them a good idea of where they need to improve.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » October 2nd, 2018, 10:21 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:U20's in Ulster A team:

Iwan Hughes(Exile)
Aaron Sexton(Bangor Grammar)
Paul McGookin(Ballyclare)
David McCann(RBAI)
Graham Curtis(Exile)
Bruce Houston(Ballymena)

U20's in Leinster A team:
Michael Milne(Roscrea)
Giuseppe Coyne(Blackrock)
Ryan Baird(St. Michaels)
Ronan Watters(St. Marys)
David Hawkshaw(Blackrock)



Think this season's squad will be an upgrade on last season's squad?
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » October 3rd, 2018, 8:19 am

dropkick wrote:Anyone else think the Celtic cup matches are better for the players than the U20 interpros? I'd say they'll bring on the players more as they're playing with professionals for an extended run and it'll give them a good idea of where they need to improve.


IMO, the Celtic Cup has been an excellent development for all the Academies as it gives them a competition which is against peer groups but player absences can be covered by senior players or sub-Academy players.

The performances of Leinster players (that I've seen) were generally very good and certainly suggest at least three / four forwards coming through to the top table.

The performance of the National U.20 Squad this year will be a real test and we'll have a better idea whether Head Coach Noel McNamara developed in his time in NZ.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » October 3rd, 2018, 10:16 am

dropkick wrote:Anyone else think the Celtic cup matches are better for the players than the U20 interpros? I'd say they'll bring on the players more as they're playing with professionals for an extended run and it'll give them a good idea of where they need to improve.


assuming key 20's players are playing a lot of Celtic Cup rugby.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby XyzFoo » October 3rd, 2018, 11:59 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
assuming key 20's players are playing a lot of Celtic Cup rugby.


What's the angle there, Mildly? The key U20s not playing because they are being held back to support gaps in the senior squads?
XyzFoo
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Location: London

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » October 8th, 2018, 8:26 am

XyzFoo wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
assuming key 20's players are playing a lot of Celtic Cup rugby.


What's the angle there, Mildly? The key U20s not playing because they are being held back to support gaps in the senior squads?


no, just not everyone who will feature in 20s squad is getting large minutes in Celtic cup.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » October 9th, 2018, 7:00 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:Anyone else think the Celtic cup matches are better for the players than the U20 interpros? I'd say they'll bring on the players more as they're playing with professionals for an extended run and it'll give them a good idea of where they need to improve.


assuming key 20's players are playing a lot of Celtic Cup rugby.



There seems to be a lot of them playing in it. I'm not sure how much an interpro series would benefit them. Certainly less than playing in the Celtic cup.


Playing in the ail would be better than an under 20s interpros.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » October 10th, 2018, 1:50 pm

dropkick wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:Anyone else think the Celtic cup matches are better for the players than the U20 interpros? I'd say they'll bring on the players more as they're playing with professionals for an extended run and it'll give them a good idea of where they need to improve.


assuming key 20's players are playing a lot of Celtic Cup rugby.



There seems to be a lot of them playing in it. I'm not sure how much an interpro series would benefit them. Certainly less than playing in the Celtic cup.


Playing in the ail would be better than an under 20s interpros.


They could easily have played an interpro series, then played celtic cup, then played AIL.

instead there was no interpros.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » October 10th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Celtic Cup and Interpros are light years ahead of AIL because players are competing against their professional peers. AIL is like Community Service, useful, but achieves nothing and takes somebody out of regular involvement in Club side.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3592
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby dropkick » October 10th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Celtic Cup and Interpros are light years ahead of AIL because players are competing against their professional peers. AIL is like Community Service, useful, but achieves nothing and takes somebody out of regular involvement in Club side.



I disagree strongly that the U20 interpros are better than the AIL. Leaving aside that only few interpros were played, you can't say that an U20 prop for example would learn more against other U20s than hardened AIL props who spent years learning their trade.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby ormond lad » October 11th, 2018, 11:38 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Celtic Cup and Interpros are light years ahead of AIL because players are competing against their professional peers. AIL is like Community Service, useful, but achieves nothing and takes somebody out of regular involvement in Club side.
interpros are not and would not be light years ahead of AIL. AIL is nothing like you suggest and you are being extremaly unfair to the league and dismissive of the high standard of the league.
ormond lad
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 455
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby mildlyinterested » October 11th, 2018, 11:44 am

Potential XV:

1. Josh Wycherley(Munster)
2. Claytan Milligan(Ulster)
3. Michael Milne(Leinster)
4. Ryan Baird(Leinster)
5. Charles Ryan(Leinster)
6. Niall Murray(Connacht)
7. Scott Penny(Leinster)
8. Azur Allison(Ulster)
9. Cormac Foley(Leinster)
10. Harry Byrne(Leinster)
11. Angus Kernohan(Ulster)
12. Stewart Moore(Ulster)
13. Sean French(Munster)
14. Aaron O'Sullivan(Leinster)
15. Jonathan Wren(Munster)
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby hugonaut » October 11th, 2018, 1:37 pm

ormond lad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Celtic Cup and Interpros are light years ahead of AIL because players are competing against their professional peers. AIL is like Community Service, useful, but achieves nothing and takes somebody out of regular involvement in Club side.
interpros are not and would not be light years ahead of AIL. AIL is nothing like you suggest and you are being extremaly unfair to the league and dismissive of the high standard of the league.


RTB has coached [and managed] at Div 1 level of the AIL.

The AIL is one of the shibboleths of Irish rugby – you can't say anything bad about it. Well, some of the games are good and some of the games are sh*t, just like any other competition.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4701
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Postby johng » October 11th, 2018, 5:21 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:8. Azur Allison(Ulster)

To be known forever more as "The Blue Girl"
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 17380
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Next

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests