Brexit

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Re: Brexit

Postby ronk » February 21st, 2019, 10:17 pm

As if Brexit wasn't exasperating enough...
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9596
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Brexit

Postby Oldschool » March 13th, 2019, 10:02 am

No surprises so far, really don't know why RTE did an extended news bulletin yesterday.
The vote was a foregone conclusion.
You could see the resignation in May's body language as Jean Claude lectured her about second chances.
That kind of carry-on is only going to get up the noses of the very people he's trying to persuade.
Then again maybe, like Jeremy, he's a closet brexiteer himself.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11706
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby domhnallj » March 22nd, 2019, 3:23 pm

Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Brexit

Postby FLIP » March 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm

domhnallj wrote:Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:


The only thing Parliament can agree on is that they don't want this Brexit and they don't want no deal Brexit. There's no other majority for any one idea. I can see this getting extended repeatedly.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1582
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Brexit

Postby domhnallj » March 22nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

FLIP wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:


The only thing Parliament can agree on is that they don't want this Brexit and they don't want no deal Brexit. There's no other majority for any one idea. I can see this getting extended repeatedly.


I suspect that once May's deal tanks next week the options will be subjected to a vote (no deal, Norway style, another form of customs union with single market, referendum and up to revoke A50)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Brexit

Postby rooster » March 25th, 2019, 1:37 am

domhnallj wrote:
FLIP wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Its all going a bit Pete Tong now. Who will still be standing by next week? My guess (for what its worth) will be a thrid rejection (naughty PM blaming the MPs!) and parliament taking over control, after that..... :?:


The only thing Parliament can agree on is that they don't want this Brexit and they don't want no deal Brexit. There's no other majority for any one idea. I can see this getting extended repeatedly.


I suspect that once May's deal tanks next week the options will be subjected to a vote (no deal, Norway style, another form of customs union with single market, referendum and up to revoke A50)
May's deal will not reappear this week as it has had 2 chances and nothing has changed so it cant go to vote again.
They never had a plan from the start and it is just hitting reality now with some of them.
Revoke Article 50 and another referendum when they actually produce a feasible plan.
I don't expect a feasible plan ever to be formulated though.
User avatar
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3283
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 26th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Where the fc#k is Sir Humphrey when you really need him?
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Brexit

Postby ronk » March 27th, 2019, 5:58 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Where the fc#k is Sir Humphrey when you really need him?


Netflix I think.

If he was around today he’d “taking back control” as fast as he could of every less than scalding pototo.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9596
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Brexit

Postby fourthirtythree » March 27th, 2019, 10:00 am

Thomas Cromwell would deliver Brexit on a plate.

Lots of heads in baskets too of course but he's exactly what the executive want. He knew how to make parliament do what he wanted for tyrants to be happy.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9139
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Brexit

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 28th, 2019, 12:19 am

Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

The Government has failed to find an agreed solution. It now looks like Parliament cannot find an agreeable solution. Logically, the only democratic alternative is to ask the people, Leave with No Deal or accept the May Deal.

Labour has the capacity to be the deal-maker.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Brexit

Postby domhnallj » March 28th, 2019, 10:11 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

The Government has failed to find an agreed solution. It now looks like Parliament cannot find an agreeable solution. Logically, the only democratic alternative is to ask the people, Leave with No Deal or accept the May Deal.

Labour has the capacity to be the deal-maker.


As I understand it, there will be a further round of indicative votes on Monday. Presumably some of the weaker performing motions from last night will get the elbow, and between now and then arms can be twisted etc etc. Not to mention the Tories are attempting to bring back the WA for another shot.

If there is to be another referendum, I and millions of others living this shit-show want an option to remain.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Brexit

Postby The Doc » March 28th, 2019, 11:29 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Surely the Labour Party cannot allow the DUP to screw the future of GB & NI by ensuring a No Deal exit?

The Government has failed to find an agreed solution. It now looks like Parliament cannot find an agreeable solution. Logically, the only democratic alternative is to ask the people, Leave with No Deal or accept the May Deal.

Labour has the capacity to be the deal-maker.


Flaw in that logic is that Corbyn (and his advisors) really don't mind a Brexit. What they really want is an election after the Tories implement it. They are just focussed on becoming prime minister - hence, even now, those close to Corbyn are still banging on about the only way out is to have an election - which really doesn't address the problem
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Mullet
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: August 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Brexit

Postby brotheroffrank » March 28th, 2019, 5:58 pm

This clip from today's proceedings in the House of Commons (while a bewildered public watch in bemusement) says it all.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheNfmrj89k
User avatar
brotheroffrank
Bookworm
 
Posts: 137
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: Na Glasáin

Re: Brexit

Postby ronk » March 28th, 2019, 7:28 pm

May isnt offering anything by saying she will leave if the deal passes. The knife is waiting for a better moment for whoever takes over.

She would get better traction by threatening to force the issue before the deal passes. Labour might want a general election but they want to clean the mess not own it. Their chances are weakest now but will strengthen with more chaos.

Win or lose for the Torys the DUP would almost certainly be out of the picture. Tory's are splitting, but once Brexit is locked in/out they can regroup.

You dont get leverage by threatening to give people what they actually want.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9596
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Brexit

Postby The Doc » March 29th, 2019, 11:12 am

ronk wrote:May isnt offering anything by saying she will leave if the deal passes. The knife is waiting for a better moment for whoever takes over.

She would get better traction by threatening to force the issue before the deal passes. Labour might want a general election but they want to clean the mess not own it. Their chances are weakest now but will strengthen with more chaos.

Win or lose for the Torys the DUP would almost certainly be out of the picture. Tory's are splitting, but once Brexit is locked in/out they can regroup.

You dont get leverage by threatening to give people what they actually want.


It is also a problem for both main parties that if an election was called now, neither would be in a position to publish a manifesto which had a position on Brexit that wouldn't split their party. In any event, a leadership contest is likely to cause a split in the Conservative party. Not actively attempting to stop Brexit could do the same in Labour.

No matter what happens, the effects will rumble on for a long time
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Mullet
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: August 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Brexit

Postby Oldschool » April 12th, 2019, 8:29 am

This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11706
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby rooster » April 26th, 2019, 11:22 am

Still hoping for a large dose of humble pie from government and withdrawal of article 50
User avatar
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3283
Joined: July 22nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby ronk » April 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Oldschool wrote:This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.


I know what you did last summer is already bad enough with the Euro election. Then we will have Nightmare on Downing Street. I'm not sure whether it'll be Candyman or Hellraiser and after than Halloween.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9596
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Brexit

Postby Oldschool » April 26th, 2019, 8:01 pm

ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote:This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.


I know what you did last summer is already bad enough with the Euro election. Then we will have Nightmare on Downing Street. I'm not sure whether it'll be Candyman or Hellraiser and after than Halloween.

Most franchises have more than one sequel or spin off.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11706
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby brotheroffrank » April 26th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote:This coming Halloween has all the potential to become the definitive horror story.


I know what you did last summer is already bad enough with the Euro election. Then we will have Nightmare on Downing Street. I'm not sure whether it'll be Candyman or Hellraiser and after than Halloween.

Most franchises have more than one sequel or spin off.


And they get to call it something like "Guido Fawkes revenge - Parliament destroys Itself"
User avatar
brotheroffrank
Bookworm
 
Posts: 137
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: Na Glasáin

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests